11 May 2006

The Tamale Tour

DAY THREE

Thursday, May 11th, 2006

Thursday morning was my first chance to catch up on almost three weeks of poor sleep. The girls returned with mangoes and plantains just as I finished my bucket shower. As we sat around eating fruit the school beside the hotel was singing songs. The goats and sheep around town were making their presence known, and the hotel managers sat in the tiny office watching a football match. All these sounds combined were quite overwhelming, and are just another image that will never leave me. We headed out to the market to forage for food and check out what Tamale had to offer. Finding food was much more difficult than I could have ever imagined. There were very few fresh vegetables, but an abundance of miniature mangoes and raw okra. Not too many options for a meal. There was also fresh cut meat everywhere, but since we were staying at a hotel and had no way to prepare the meal, this was also not an option. We finally settled on a loaf of bread and some plantains. Unfortunately, finding the essentials I required, such as a transformer for my battery charger, or an adapter for my cell phone proved much harder than I thought it would be. I eventually found everything I needed after walking around for several hours.

We ended off Thursday by going out for a few drinks at the local drinking spot before some of us left the next day. As it turns out, only Ben would end up leaving, and would return the next night for a party to give a proper send off to Tom and Eli (Their adventure will be explained soon).

We returned home and were in bed by 11. It would seem things are finally calming down, atleast until I meet with my NGO tomorrow.

This was Day Three.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home